These things always start out okay; you meet some guy someplace on campus, and you actually talk, but superficially. Then, later that day, or that night, when you're alone in front of your computer, or congregated with your girls, you Google him, and scout information about him on facebook (the people Wikipedia). If going through his pictures won't give you enough info, or reading his wall, you begin to ask around. The Adventist network is the size of a desert portion at a high class restaurant, so you can quickly find out details about him by talking to people who went to his academy or university. If this doesn't sound like stalking to you, then you're probably guilty.
Are you a horrible person? No. Are you being sneaky, and a little creepy? I'll take 'yes' for 500. When did we get so lazy? What if you found out someone you were just casually talking to about caf food knew what your sister looked like, could rattle off people that you're friends with, and knew about that horrible thing that you did, or said five years ago, because they've been talking to that one girl who never liked you? A little hair-raising, huh? I'd prefer a guy to ask me things instead of creeping around behind my back. Why can't we extend the same courtesy? True, they put personal information on facebook, but if you simply asked him things you wanted to know, he might actually know that you exist. I realize this is hard for some of us. You may be shy, or proud, or really bad at conversation, but I guarantee you facebook won't help you with your lack of communication skills.
Sure, you can throw a cake at him, or send him a friend request, but don't you want to be in relationship with him? I don't mean in a relationship with someone, I mean in relationship: having an actual friendship that can be a blessing to both parties involved. Actually, checking someone out online, or by asking around, is a great way to get a one-sided view of someone. Is that really your goal? Facebook has its perks; it's really great for keeping in touch with people who live far away, or just chatting it up with people you know. I doubt the creators of facebook set out to assist you with snoopong.
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment