Wednesday, September 2, 2009

It's Winter


There should be no doubt in anyone's mind about whether or not winter has arrived. When I'm outside, my face hurts. There's snow on everything, and I don't know about you, but I'm happy if the high for the day is over thirty-five. I've realized that being single is a lot like dealing with winter; they are both seasons that come with joy and pain, and I've learned to be content with them both by changing my mentality. The Bachelorette's Blog is a column about being a single woman. If you are a guy, and you were brave enough to read past the title, you might consider averting your eyes to the next column, but I urge you to be a fly on the wall.

Growing up in Chicago I lived for the day that the Channel 7 News reported that the groundhog had seen his shadow; this meant that Spring was just around the corner. Sounds pretty superstitious, but it made living through the rest of the winter bearable. Then, summer would come, and I would get irritated with how there was no breeze, it was too hot, and the bugs were out of control. It finally occurred to me that I had to learn to be content or I would be miserable my whole life.

The same holds true for being a Bachelorette; if we're not content with being single, we won't be content when we're married. It's true that being single can be rough, especially when everywhere we go we're being smacked with questions like 'Seeing anyone special?' It seems like everyone around us is walking hand in hand or engaged. We have to take our eyes off of them, and look at ourselves.

Yes, it's winter, and you live in a place where the sun rarely shines, and it snows all the time, but we must be the beautiful object inside of the snow globe. Go buy a scarf and gloves that you love to put on, and be happy. During winter, play some winter sports, grab some hot chocolate and look out the window, own this season. This is such a unique time in our lives, and unlike winter, when it's gone, it won't ever come back. Never again will you be able to focus on God and yourself uninterrupted.

No comments:

Post a Comment